External Communication Coordinator will be responsible for executing media and public relations activities, and coordinate communication efforts with external parties to support campaigns, joint publications, and build communication networks with various stakeholders, contributing to National Communication of Yayasan Plan International Indonesia in increasing Plan International’s visibility to targeted audiences.
The job holder will be responsible for handling all aspects of planned publicity campaigns and public relations activities. The job holder will be tasked with identifying media opportunities, maintaining existing media relations, developing media partnership and promoting positive public awareness of the organisation and key messages through mass media and public events in collaboration with other staff (campaign, advocacy, program) for the content.
As part of national communication team, job holder will also play significant role to contribute to the development of national communication plan. She/he will contribute to the target of communication team. The person will work together with other communication staff to develop effective social media and mass media campaign to help increase YPII brand visibility and showcase of YPII works to public and key stakeholders.
Last but not least, the job holder will be part of national campaign movement that will be led by communication and influencing department. She/he will contribute to plan and implement flagship campaign at the national level such as Girls Get Equal, International Day of the Girls, International Women’s Day, National Children Day, etc.
Dimensions of the Role
- This position reports to Media and Communications Director
- Contribute to National Communication plan and target for increasing brand positioning and visibility
- Lead the delivery of creative and strategic public relations works to support organisational objective at the country level.
- Expert knowledge of traditional media to manage the delivery of messages to external audiences, assessing the reputational risks and opportunities
- Lead the coordination for media engagement and activities with tier-1 national media, segmented media and local media.
- Editing communication products developed by Program Communications Specialist / Officer for Influencing Director’s approval prior to media dissemination e.g. press release, media brief, success story for media, newsletter, etc.
- Develop creative concepts for public events in collaboration with campaign officer and fundraising team.
- Coordinate communication activities with external parties to support campaigns, publications, and organize communication events
- Demonstrate a good understanding of development and humanitarian issues and the use of Communications for campaigning and influencing
- Focus on innovation and finding creative new ways to communicate messages to new audiences
- Capacity building on media and communications work for country teams
- Building networks with media, production house, and other creative partners for events
- Taking initiative, working independently and proactively and working to high pressure and tight deadlines while at the same time working as an effective team member
Increase Plan Indonesia’s presence and key messages in nationalbv and local media
- Implement a country media strategy aligned to programs’ communication strategy and linked to the global strategy, to deliver high impact media coverage in national market
- Editing communication products developed by Program Communications Specialist / Officer for Influencing Director’s approval prior to media dissemination e.g. press release, media brief, success story for media, etc.
- Build and maintain strong engagement with media at national and local levels
- Develop partnerships with media outlets, bloggers and influencers
- Conduct engagement activities with media e.g. media gathering, competition, briefing, press conferences, etc.
- Conduct media mapping in close coordination with communications team
- Conduct a mapping of key communication stakeholders, as well as approaching and establishing cooperation to support the achievement of communication goals
- Advance dissemination of stories from the field to national level in forms of opinion, features, radio spots, adlibs, vlog, blog, etc.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of media projects on national level and provide media monitoring report
Enhance production and promotion of Plan Indonesia’s stories, in accordance to brand guidelines, by internal and external parties
- Focus on innovation and finding creative new ways to communicate messages to new audiences
- Editing communication products developed by Program Communications Specialist / Officer for Influencing Director’s approval prior to public dissemination e.g. power point presentations, press releases, speeches and talking points, photos, blogs, annual reports, newsletters, video and multimedia content
- Work with country teams, programme staff and partners to ensure production and availability of high quality communications products for a wide range of audiences including donors, partners including the private sector, policy makers and the general public, at global, regional and country levels
- Manage external consultants as required for the development of agreed outputs
- Gather internal knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through identification of the most effective distribution channels
- Support program team in ensuring adherence to communication policies, protocols, standards and brand compliance and product’s branding compliance to the global standard of Plan International
- Implement guidelines and standards for producing communications content and ensure its being followed
- Ensure material is properly signed off
Develop creative concepts for public events in collaboration with campaign officer and fundraising team.
- In close coordination with Fundraising and campaign team, conduct creative public event that could generate leads to increase visibility of Plan Indonesia
- Support the development of national level advocacy and campaign initiative to highlight YPII influencing priorities, and that subsequent campaigns have quality communication support in place that support campaign goals and results.
- To be part of campaign team to support the implementation of campaign initiative and mobilize public support and vibration among young people
Disseminate Plan Indonesia’s news to Plan International’s team at regional (Asia Pacific) and global level through Workplace, asset’s documentation on media bank and other related platforms used by Plan International
- Ensured all hard/soft copy of designs of IEC/BCC materials, photos, audio-visuals are available in Plan International’s resource center and shared drive.
- Published news from Plan Indonesia in Global hub or Asia-Pacific hub newsletter at least once in every quarter.
- Publication of infographics at least once every quester containing killer facts from the field. These materials could then be disseminated to global/regional hub.
- Ensured all designs and pictures of Plan Indonesia available in Media Bank
- Influencing Team
- Program Managers, project manager within the program
- Marketing and Communication Team, Fundraising Team
- Finance Team, Administration Team and Human Resources Team
- Sponsorship Team and programme implementation area staffs
Asia Hub and Global Hub Staffs:
- Communication Team, Regional and Global
- Related Project Communication on Regional and Global
- Media companies and journalist, social media communities and influencers
- Influencers, KOL, etc
- Implementing partner organizations of program / projects
- Program key stakeholders including local and national government, INGO, NGO and donors
- Program targeted beneficiaries
- Different network, forum and clusters on project implementation
- Consultant of graphic designers, photographer, video makers, copywriters, etc
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University degree in Communications or related fields
- Between 3-5 years of professional experience in communication for NGOs, media, think tanks
- Excellent skilled in popular writing and editing both in Indonesian and English
- Have good sense of art in graphic design and photography
- Experience working for NGO / non-profit sector is preferable
- Experience building media engagement and partnership
- Experience in the implementation and execution of brand strategy
- Excellent interpersonal communications and presentations skills
- Online media experience
Knowledge and Skill:
- Good interpersonal skill and team work
- Strong communication skills
- Good networking with national media
- Understand about human right and child right
- Excellent in English (both speaking and writing)
- Excellent editing skill in English and Indonesian
- Proven working experience with the media
- Good understanding about marketing communication concept
- Creative public event management
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to prioritise and maintain focus
- Good presentation and communication skill
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Team Work
- Planning and organizing
- Communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Event management
- Data gathering and analysis
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Presentation skills
- Facilitation skills
- Team player
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
Typical office environment with frequent travels, sometimes to remote areas (50%)
Level of Contact with Children and Young People
High level: Frequent interaction with children and young people
All applications will be treated in confidence. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interviews. Please submit your letter of application and detailed curriculum vitae in English by click https://tinyurl.com/ComExternalCoordPlan not later than September 28, 2022
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy.
As an international child centred community development organisation, Yayasan Plan International Indonesia is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Yayasan Plan International Indonesia believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for. Our organisation is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We will provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organisational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.